NYC

 

Cruise to Wicklow 27th May 2006

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailBarring the arrival of unexpected phenomena we are looking good for tomorrow and committed to set out at noon. The following boats (in no particular order) are known to be travelling: Sarnia + 6 Kondor + 5, 2 by road Movita + 2/3 Temper tantrum +3/4 Gabelle + 4 Alan Dooley’s new boat + 2, 2 by road WSC is expecting a nominal 25 persons for the BBQ (20.00-20.30) which will be steak with salmon as an alternative. These two choices are the full scope. Wicklow Harbour Authority will send a cash reaper to extract fees from each boat; any perception of value received is entirely at the judgment of the payer. Sat 27th wind f 3/4 WSW. From Met Eireann: Dull and damp at first tomorrow, but gradually brightening up through the morning as rain clears Eastwards. Sunshine and showers for the afternoon and evening, some of them heavy. Highest temperatures of 14 to 18 degrees with fresh Westerly winds. Sun 28th wind f3/4 W. From Met Eireann: Sunday will be a bright but noticeable cool day with variable cloud, some sunshine, and well scattered showers. Northwest winds will be moderate. Windspeeds/directions are not from Met Eireann and you’ll notice the different fcasts for Sun but that’s not untypical; they do agree on the Sat fcast. Best Regards Dermot Hicks   ———————————————– 23/05/06 Food Wicklow sailing club are providing a barbecue outside on the roof if the weather is OK, inside if not ; those who have paid the €20 retainer to the Manager NYC. It’s expected that the available numbers will be fully subscribed. There are quite a number of choices available in the town for those unable to join the main meal. Weather: Per long range forecast – seems like the hoped for breakthrough of fair weather remains hoped for. Sat: wind WNW 20km, gust 38km, temp 13C, occasional shower max/24h, 2mm. Sun: wind NE at 19km, gust 40km, temp 12C, no rain forecast. This is the forecast from Accuweather – but 5/6 days is very long range in Ireland and this could change significantly; update on Wednesday. Note that the outer harbour in Wicklow becomes untenable in strong N winds. Wicklow Harbour Only one of the original sets of “boards” against the wall of the outer harbour remains; however Wicklow County Council have recently set up 3 new heavy ladders about 1m wide with teak facings on the verticals, this is not ideal for fendering , but a length of timber should fix that. Other options are on the North Quays, upriver, at anchor in the outer harbour and perhaps there will be spare moorings. Here’s the original mail , from 04.05.06: “For some weeks past the proposed trip to Wicklow has been posted on the website for 27/28 May, and that’s now confirmed. The proposed itinerary: Sat 27th – depart Dun Laoghaire 12.00h (high tide NW 12.25) allow 4 hours to Wicklow Sun 28th depart Wicklow 10.00 ( high tide NW 13.09). A briefing regarding participants, weather, berthage and so on will issue by email a few days before. The food/ the participants Wicklow Sailing Club has agreed to cater for our group on the Saturday night, the menu is still under discussion – once that’s done an update will issue. A deposit of €20.00 is payable by 19.05.06; payment to and receipt from the club manager (only). “No shows” lose the deposit; cancellation before 22/05/06 generates a refund. All are welcome to join the fleet, but only those who have paid the deposit can join the organised catering. The deposit will be offset against the individual’s bill from the WSC; revelers to pay their own bar bills. Non sailors who may wish to join the melee by road are welcome, and can secure a place at the meal as above. Please note that the WSC has limited catering facilities; it follows that “first come first served ” has to apply. Responses Please respond at the earliest opportunity by email ; responses from those not intending to participate would also be appreciated. Any correspondents interested in “crew” places please advise by email ASAP so that that can be organised; any correspondents who know others not on the circulation interested in joining and/or crewing please ask them to email. Participating Boat owners with places for crew please advise with your response. Replies to nycsailing @eircom.net. Next time A date and destination for the proposed excursion in June will be posted in the next weeks – giving 3/4 weeks notice; the destination for this one will be such as Carlingford, or Holyhead. Looking forward…..”