NYC

 

Cruise to Kilmore Quay

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailFollowing the success of our inaugural trip to Wicklow, it’s time to look ahead. Most of us look around in September and then realise that the season is almost over and think “why didn’t I do this or go there”; now is the time to avoid that. Here’s a shape for our second outing – a trip to Kilmore Q in a 3 day weekend around w/e 24/25/26 June. The tides are not very helpful and are springs: on the down leg they indicate an overnight in Arklow which has the benefit of allowing some of the group the option of returning home from there if the trip is considered too long; also we have the option of others joining by road. The trip home has two challenges – an early departure from Kilmore Q ( no choice) and a time deadline to get to Wicklow head; any body that misses it will have to go offshore and will lose at least 2 hours, those who do make it would go close inshore (follow the 5m contour) out of the tide. Sat 24th June Ex DL at 10. 30 – Ebbing tide for 6 h, Arklow at ca 15.00h, overnight. Sun 25 June Dep Arklow at 09. 30, Kilmore Q at ca17.00 Mon 26June Long dayDep Kilmore Q at 05.00h adverse tide for 1 hour , then slack at Carnsore. 6 hours of rising tide which should give a lift of some 12nm to deliver some 45 – 55 miles which would place us at Wicklow Head before the tide becomes strong ( tide turns there at about noon) , then close inshore in an adverse tide getting home about 17.00-18.00 h. Note: The tides would better suit a trip to Carlingford and we’ll keep that as a back up in case the winds blow that way – it’s also a shorter trip. Kilmore Q this time is a preferred destination as a 4 day w/e in July is being considered involving Carlingford or Ardglass , with a second leg to Peel , a third to Port St Marys.and the fourth home. Sometime like 29/30 July. More later. Catering We will approach Arklow sailing club regarding hosting our group on the Sat night; as before those wishing to participate should pay the NYC club manager and have receipted €20.00/ person. Wait for the email confirming before paying. We have yet to research Kilmore Quay – maybe it’s time we did our own barbecue – opinions please. Responses Please respond at the earliest opportunity by email ; responses from those not intending to participate would also be appreciated , this helps us to know where we stand with regard to numbers . Any correspondents interested in “crew” places please advise by email asap so that that can be organised; any correspondents who know others not on the circulation interested in joining and/or crewing , please ask them to email. Participating Boat owners with places for crew please advise with your response. Replies to nycsailing @eircom.net. Updates Updates will follow about : berthing; weather and other issues. Committed Kondor, Sarnia and Alan Dooley’s boat are committed at present. Comments and observations. Does anybody have comment or observation to help us organise/communicate or otherwise improve? Best Regards Dermot Hicks